
I can't believe the last time I saw this family the kiddos were 10 (Dan) and 14 (Elise, in the shadows). Of course, I can't believe I was 24 and now I'm 34. Now my cousins are all grown up. Dan has an incredible tender heart, love for people, and so much of what life has to offer. Elise is beautiful like her mom. She's a storyteller, really witty, so smart, and has such a respectable job caring for the elderly. I'm so pleased of who they have become, due in no small part to their great parents.My aunt and uncle (my mom's brother) made us feel right at home, with good food, good drink, and great conversation. How I wish we lived closer together.

I was delighted when I realized we'd be traveling through PA on our way to Boston from my parent's house Memorial Day weekend. I immediately wrote to my uncle and asked if we could spend the night. Isn't it nice that you can drop in on family like that? They live in Kempton. I love that 2 hours north is THE crazy New York City. It's an incredible beautiful landscape of peaceful farmland.



My grandparents used to own the farm next door. My brother and I grew up going to Kempton to visit them so the country road is so nostalgic for us. Everywhere I look I have memories. The farm house my grandparents owned has been torn down and a new, modern, mausoleum has been resurrected in it's place. Nothing looks the way it did, but the memories are still there. Across the street and up the steep hill I can imagine hearing my own wild, loud laughter that used to ring throughout the trees. I was known to laugh like a hyena. It's a weird feeling to go back there with my husband and child because I have to acknowledge just how much time has gone by and how much has changed, including my grandfather, who took great delight in making that place so fun for me and Tim, and who has been gone from us for 24 years.
Thanks for letting me reminisce!

No comments:
Post a Comment