Happy New Year

Happy New Year

Monday, October 18, 2010

"Joy is not an emotion"

I recently found out that my friend, Katie, received some devastating news. Her 30 year old sister has been diagnosed with breast cancer, which was found 3 days after giving birth to her 3rd child, Samuel David.

How do we respond when we face trials of this magnitude? I am learning what the bible has to say in response to such a question. I love what Katie says in her recent blog post, a blog she advertises on facebook. It's here if you care to read it for yourself.

My big take away from the trial that is now upon my dear friend and her family is this: Joy, true Christian Joy, is not an emotion. It does not waver with our circumstances or change like the seasons. Like Christ, it is constant and ever present, in all things, for the glory of God. And so we can absolutely have joy in the midst of suffering, under the heavy weight of mourning. Here is a video I copied from Katie's facebook wall. It spoke so profoundly to me I wanted to pass it along. You may have to listen to the whole song before you understand. I pray that I would know this kind of joy.




"this arrangement totally embodies the understanding that the Joy that Scripture talks about does not necessarily means happiness; rather, it's a complete and utter trust in Jesus and what he's given us in this life....we don't always have to sing the song we all know and love in a major key." -Katie Polski

please, join me in praying for katie's sister, erin, and her family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Lisa. The song is stunning. I left a note for Katie on her facebook page. Thanks for sharing your prayer requests. Love, MommaBear XXX